October 17, 2006

All I want for Christmas is my kids 2 front teeth

When Noah was 18 months old, he had only been walking for 3 months. At around 18 months is when he started to learn that he could "run". While our house was being remodeled, we were living with my parents, who's downstairs living area only consists of tile. One day, he was playing and began to run down the hall, tripped on his shoe and took a dive right into the tile. He chipped his left front tooth, but just enough that really only we could notice.

Fast forward to the future where this story brings you to 3 months ago. Noah was playing outside on a Sunday afternoon, just like any other day. Next thing I know, I've got a screaming 3 year old on my lap with blood gushing everywhere. He face planted right into the concrete. After we could get him to calm down and I could finally assess the damage, I noticed that same tooth he chipped 1.5 years earlier, was now pushed back just slightly behind his right front tooth. It wasn't loose and stayed in that same position for 2 weeks. At about this time is when I started to notice the tooth was discoloring. It was slowly turning a light purple color. I immediately took him to the dentist. He had a baby root canal performed and that then purple tooth has now turned brownish. Why the doc didn't bleach it after I asked him several times to, is beyond me, but that is where my baby boy is left...Brown.

Fast forward again, this time to the present. After arriving home from our 4 day cruise getaway (read last posting for more info), we decide to take a short nap before picking up the kids. As I enter my parents home (who was keeping the kids while on our trip) I see Jenavieve, my baby girl, give me a huge smile to show me how happy she is mommy and daddy are home. But wait...somethings missing from that beautiful smile of hers. What was it? I couldn't really put my finger on it until I picked her up and got a closer look. A chunk of her right front tooth is missing! I give my mom the "What the f*^# happened to my baby?" look and she slowly proceeds to tell us the story. She was getting ready to give the kids a bath and they were both already in the tub playing quietly while she sat and watched them. All of a sudden, Noah decides he wants to play rough with her and takes his belly and knocks her down (as he's done many times in the past), however this time she falls face first (usually it's butt first) and smacks right into the side of the tub, knocking out a chunk of her front tooth. We have her very first dental appointment scheduled for Friday...an event that is sure to make it into her baby book!

So Santa, this Christmas, I don't want nice clothes, jewelry or cool electronics. I just want my babies two front teeth to look exactly how they grew in. To have the cute baby smiles they had, before those awful adult teeth make their way through their gums and give them the ugly "inbetween phase" smiles...

No comments: