April 1, 2008

Sick of being SICK!

I'm fed up with it! Since the end of Februaray I can't seem to shake being sick. I was sick with the flu at the beginning of March, thrown a couple prescriptions my way and told if I don't get better in a few days fill them and take as directed. I began to feel better a couple days later, so felt I should save my $30 in copays for something more important like, oh I don't know, scrapbook supplies :o)! All month long I'd been trying to coordinate a trip to Sea World with some friends. Our nephew, who works there, gave us some tickets back in December for a final end of season Hoorah! trip with Noah's soccer team. It was rained out that day, game was cancelled and we did Chuck E. Cheese instead. So here we were with free tickets and any chance to go before 3/31. I completely forgot about them until Feb (go figure). Then I was busy with other stuff that by the time I got a couple friends willing to join us it was already late March. So we choose the very last weekend of March (couldn't let those passes go to waste) and wouldn't you know that that very week before our excursion I start feeling a tickle in my throat that slowly progressed to pain when swallowing. I was determined to make the trek and enjoy a beautiful sunny San Diego day with our friend Shamu, so we went. Kids had a blast, tired them out galore, got some great pics of the kids playing with sea creatures and I began to feel worse. I was actually feeling pretty darn good until just before we left. By the time we got home I could barely swallow my saliva, it felt like shards of glass trickling down my throat. I forced myself to eat dinner (man I was hungry!) and I think that was the hardest time I've ever had eating chicken and mash potatoes! MASHED freaking POTATOES even hurt going down. I'd never felt this kind of pain in my life. I mean I've had sore throats before but nothing like this EVER (well that I can remember, lol). So I did some research and it sounded like I had streptococcus, aka strep throat. I was in such agonizing pain that I was ready to have my husband take me to urgent care when I remembered the prescription I was given at the beginning of the month. I knew it was for anitbiotics I just wasn't sure what they were for. I had the flu, a sore throat and some body aches, but I really thought it was stretching it that they would be good for strep. I dug through my car like a mad women, weeding through preschool papers and projects of Noah's, flinging them around but reminding myself I needed to get those in his "memory box", begging God to let me find that white piece of gold fast. It was tucked away in the console of my car! Subconciously, I must have "hidden" it away for the in case I need them (the last time). I run (as fast as a fluffy women like myself can, ha ha ha) back up the stairs to the house and over to the computer to begin my research. The antibiotics that was written was for azithromycin. By the end of my research I find that coincidentally, it's a perfect match for strep (doc must have thought I could have been coming down with it the last time but I never did). I beg my husband to go get it filled at Rite Aid immediately and I think God was looking down on me at that very moment. When Brian returned he says, "Good thing I got there when I did. They were just closing at 7". He left the house at just past 6:45! I'm now feeling much better, still a small bit of pain when swallowing, but NOTHING like it was this weekend. And here I was looking forward to visiting with a friend on Saturday for her daughter's 1st birthday party. Sadly, I don't think we're going to make it as even though I'm feeling better, I don't know what the contagious period is for strep and the last thing she needs is her or her 1 & almost 3 year old coming down with it because of me...Now I'm just praying my kids don't get it either :o(

No comments: